Is Abortion Safe?
Her Smart Choice Women’s Health Center Educational Series Presents ‘Is Abortion Safe?’
Did you know over 99.75% of abortions do not cause major medical problems?
In the early 1970s, the Population Council and CDC conducted a significant study on abortion safety; they concluded that abortion was considerably safer than continuing a pregnancy to delivery. By 1975, the Institute of Medicine had concluded that the public health benefits of abortion were well established.
Recently, researchers at UC-San Francisco used California Medicaid data on 54,911 abortions to see how many women had an emergency room visit or hospitalization as a result. The overall complication rate was 2% and most complications were minor. Only 0.03% of patients were transferred by ambulance to an emergency department on the day of the abortion.
So, if you are still asking: “Is abortion safe?,” here are a few more helpful points.
- A medical abortion that is performed in the United States in an Ob/Gyn’s office is safe and effective care.
- 3 in 10 women in the U.S. will have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old.
- Complications for all abortions are rare and safer when performed earlier in gestation.
- While any type of procedure carries associated risks that no medical procedure is 100% safe. The possibility of any major complication occurring in a hospital is 0.31% while the risk of minor complications such as an infection or failure from medicine is about 2-5%.
- Abortion is very common. In the hands of an experienced physician, it is 99.7% safe while giving birth is 14 times riskier than having an abortion.
For additional information, please visit www.HerSmartChoice.com.
To Schedule an Appointment; Click Here
Get SOCIAL with us!
Her Smart Choice
Your Life. Your Decision. Your Smart Ch♀ice.
#hersmartchoice #hscmc #abortion #abortionsafe #yourchoice #yourbody #obgyn #isabortionsafe #contraception #gynecology #womenshealth #obstetrics #gynecologist #contraceptive #pregnancyprevention #doctor #medicationabortion #medicalabortion #surgicalabortion #feminist #righttochose #mybodymychoice