Melatonin and Birth Control: The Unexpected Relationship
Millions of women consume birth control pills to prevent pregnancy, are you one of them? Besides, some people also take melatonin supplements that help them to get a good sleep. If you are also one of them, you may be surprised to learn that there is a solid connection between them.
In the following passages, you’ll explore the surprising relationship between melatonin and birth control, and what you need to know to stay safe and secure.
Role of Melatonin
The pineal gland of human body naturally produces a hormone known as Melatonin in response to darkness. Its role is to regulate the sleep-wake cycle by promoting drowsiness and lowering body temperature. The supplements of melatonin are commonly used to treat insomnia and sleep disorders.
- It can help improve the quality and duration of sleep, especially for people with sleep disorders, like, insomnia.
- Its antioxidant properties can help in providing protection against cellular damage and reduce inflammation in the body.
- It regulates immune system function, which can help improve overall health and lowers the risk of certain diseases.
- It may have a protective effect against age-related cognitive decline.
- It may also reduce the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Role of Birth Control pills
Birth control pills are also an effective type of hormonal birth control method that women have taken to prevent pregnancy. Birth control pills consist of synthetic versions of the hormones that are known as estrogen and progesterone. These pills work together to thicken cervical mucus and prevent ovulation to prevent sperm from reaching the egg.
- It can help regulate menstrual cycles and reduce symptoms of premenstrual syndrome along with preventing pregnancy.
- It may also lower the risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer.
- It also improves acne and reduces unwanted hair growth associated with PCOS conditions.
- The pills may also reduce the risk of developing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can lead to infertility.
- It provides a non-hormonal option for managing heavy or painful periods via using pills.
Connection Between Melatonin and Birth Control Pills
Generally, it has been seen that the effectiveness of birth control pills may affect melatonin There is a reason behind this, according to which melatonin can increase the activity of an enzyme called CYP43. Melatonin is responsible for breaking down estrogen and progesterone.
Further, estrogen and progesterone break more quickly when CYP3A4 is more active. This can also lead to lower levels of these hormones in the body. As a result, this can reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills. They depend on hormones to prevent ovulation and thicken cervical mucus.
Medical researchers found that women who consume melatonin supplements had lower levels of estrogen and progesterone in their blood compared to women who didn’t take melatonin. This could be a sign of the interference of melatonin with the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, some studies found only a small effect of melatonin.
Things You Need To Know To Stay Safe
If you’re taking both, melatonin supplements and birth control pills, together then you must talk to your healthcare provider before you have it. They may discuss its potential benefits and risks with you or may recommend an alternative form of contraception. Lastly, the providers of the birth-control clinic may also adjust your dosage of either birth control pills or melatonin, so that they may not affect your routine and health.
You may also note that other substances can affect the impact of birth control pills, including antibiotics, antifungal medications, and some authorized or herbal supplements. Make sure to verify it from a reputed women’s health clinic, like Her Smart Choice. Here you can meet with expert healthcare providers and obtain the best counseling to make an informed decision.
While the connection between melatonin and birth control pills may be surprising, it is important to be aware of the potential risks and benefits. If you are taking both of these substances, talk to your healthcare provider about the best course of action to ensure that you are fully protected from unintended pregnancy and other health risks. From the above information, you may learn how to stay safe while taking both melatonin supplements and birth control pills.
As always, it is important to carefully follow the instructions for taking any medications or supplements. For that, you can consult Her Smart Choice, a leading healthcare provider, before consuming both supplements and pills; even here you get reliable counseling on choosing the suitable birth control options for women.